Special Populations Program
At Athens Technical College, we recognize the difficulties that students often face in trying to balance school, work, and family. Our Special Populations Program is available to assist students in need of help who are in one or more of the following categories:
- economically disadvantaged (eligible for the Pell Grant)
- enrolled in a field of study in which their gender is under-represented (non-traditional)
- single parents with sole or joint custody of minor children
- displaced homemakers with minimal job skills
- individuals with limited English proficiency
By working with our Special Populations Coordinator, students can learn to set achievable goals, find community resources to resolve personal life issues that may interfere with school, and develop life skills that will carry them well into the future. Special Populations services include
- Seminars on money management, health issues, and life skills
- Career guidance and exploration
- Referral to community agencies for assistance with non-academic issues
The Special Populations Program also offers access to our Lending Library which is available to those students who meet the financial requirements for this service. To apply for assistance, you will need to complete the Lending Library Application Form (PDF) and submit it to the Special Populations Coordinator on the Athens Campus in Room K-614E. Please note that we have a limited number of textbooks and may not be able to supply all books needed.
If you think any of the services available through our Special Populations program might be of help to you, please don't hesitate to contact the Coordinator on the Athens Campus at 706-355-5010.